nv-l

Re: [nv-l] unknown devices reporting to Netview

2003-03-14 13:28:18
Subject: Re: [nv-l] unknown devices reporting to Netview
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 13:17:19 -0500
This is a very strange situation if it is true.  Are you sure these are
real traps and not sent by some script?

Network devices cannot just send traps.  They have to be configured to
send a trap specifically to a certain address.   Somebody had to know that
the address of your NetView was the address of a trap receiver.  How did
they come upon that information?

Furthermore, these devices have to be connected to your network somehow.
Do you not have a corporate firewall?  Most  of those prohibit SNMP
traffic both coming in and going out.  And it is more interesting when you
say that you cannot ping them.  traps are unsolicited udp datagrams.  They
follow the same pathways as ICMP (ping).  So if you cannot ping the
sender, then someone is blocking your pings somewhere.  That would
indicate to me that you have a network/router group elsewhere which has
configured a router to block them.   Is that the case here?  I would
contact them and ask them to reconfigure the boxes not to send you traps.
That is the best solution.  Then you don't waste time, energy, computer
cycles, and precious network bandwidth, dealing with traps you don't want
to see anyway.

Basically your options in NetView are limited. You can configure
trapd.conf so that  trapd will just log the traps and that will get rid of
the message you see.  You could also configure them so that trapd would
neither log nor display them, just throw them away, but that is dangerous
because you could wind up with a trap storm and never see any evidence but
poor performance.   The only other thing you could do would be to install
and MLM and set it up so that he forwards all traps to NetView except
those you don't want to see.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"DePhillips, Frank" <fdephillips AT McLeodUSA DOT com>
03/14/2003 12:15 PM