nv-l

[nv-l] NetView to TEC slot mappings - severity

2003-03-13 12:45:02
Subject: [nv-l] NetView to TEC slot mappings - severity
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:38:08 -0500
Jane -

This isn't new.  This is how the TEC severities have been mapped since the
first internal TEC adapter in NetView 5.0.
Where is it documented?  I don't know.  That's a question I hate, because
doc is done by doc writers, who have their own set of IBM standards to
adhere to  on how doc should be written, and so just like you, I have to
search for the answer.  So I am going to decline.

If it were going to change at this late date, however, we'd have to doc
that in the Release Notes for migration.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
----- Forwarded by James Shanks/Raleigh/IBM on 03/13/2003 10:33 AM -----

Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
03/13/2003 09:51 AM

        cc:

The addtrap documentation says that, regardless of the NetView variable
to TEC slot mappings you specify, the  source, sub_source, origin and
hostname slots are reserved and automatically included in the  TEC event.

I have NV 7.1.3 FP 1 on AIX, with TEC 3.8.  I am finding that the
NetView severity value is also mapped automatically to the TEC severity
slot, with the following severity mappings:
NetView         TEC
Cleared            HARMLESS
Indeterminate   UNKNOWN
Warning            WARNING
Minor               MINOR
Critical              CRITICAL
Major               FATAL

Anyone know whether this is accidental and may disappear, or design and
not documented (or documented elsewhere)?
Thanks,
Jane

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.

*NOTE*
help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)