nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Netview to HP Openview

2003-03-12 14:44:16
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview to HP Openview
From: Stephen Hochstetler <shochste AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:10:41 -0600

That would be no,  (both ways).   NetView is not OpenView.  They shared a
common code base a decade ago...which in our first version we put a new GUI
on among other changes.   Since then we have made even more enhancements
including in the database.    I have helped customers migrate from OpenView
to NetView and it takes a bit of work and verification so that you don't
miss anything.   From personal experience I have found NetView to do a
better discovery of the network.  I have never seen the same discovery
between these two systems.   I would urge you to reconcile this early in
the project.

If you are planning a migration (either way), have both discover the
network and then resolve the differences on the maps drawn by looking at
the device MIBs.  If you don't have an accurate discovery, the rest of the
system is less useful.   Once that is resolved, then migrate the rest of
the definitions (MIBs, traps...) and  customization.  Good luck.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
International Technical Support Organization at IBM
11400 Burnet Road   Austin, TX  78758
Office - 512-838-6198 (t/l 678)       FAX - 512-838-6931
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

                      "DePhillips,

                      Frank"                   To:       "'nv-l AT lists.tivoli
DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
                      <fdephillips@McLe        cc:

                      odUSA.com>               Subject:  [nv-l] Netview to HP
Openview

                      03/12/2003 12:56

                      PM

        Can a Netview database be moved over to a machine running HP
Openview and work without any changes?

Thanks

Frank

NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use, copying
or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender via e-mail.