nv-l

[nv-l] MIB and traps

2003-03-03 16:02:11
Subject: [nv-l] MIB and traps
From: "Cowan, Christopher" <Christopher_Cowan AT sra DOT com>
To: "'nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com'" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:50:19 -0500
Just thought I would share this with the list, and ask some follow-up
questions of my own.
I just finished customizing my NetView setup for CiscoWorks DFM integration,
and I saw multiple posts in the archives on this subject.

In attempting to load the Cisco DFM mib, I was getting an error about Module
Identity, with a line number that was well past the end of the file(s).  I
finally determined that CiscoWorks 5th Edition CDONE installation loaded a
few v2 mibs from DOS format text files (in other words, EOL is \r\n rather
than \n).  The compiler was misleadingly pointing at a line right before the
first occurrence of a ^M (\r).  I then discovered this was one of about 5-8
instances of this.   (All from CiscoWorks).

I opened a PMR with Cisco and asked them to consider not loading these (w/o
doing a dos2unix or something comparable first).  None the less, it would be
nice if NetView's xnmloadmib and xnmloadmib2 would actually strip this stuff
out for you.

After all of this, I found that DMF-MIB.my could be processed by mib2trap
(no surprise there), but trapd only uses the v1 mib database to annotate the
SNMP variables, in the nvevents.   Fortunately, I found a fairly nice util
on snmplink.org called libsmi that has a  v2 to v1 converter.   Worked like
a champ.

Now my questions

During my perusal of the nv-l archives, James Shanks mentioned that it is
not necessary to load all of the SNMPv2 mibs, since some things are hard
coded as macros into the compiler.   I'm wondering if any documentation
exists itemizing what is and isn't taken care of.   I looked through the
documentation and couldn't really find this info.   Is the only method to
reset the MIB db to its default state, and then browse
/usr/OV/conf/snmpv2mib?   Likewise for snmpmib?

Second, does anyone know whether Switch Analyzer loads mibs at install time?
How about CNAT and the other NV add-ons?

--
Chris Cowan
Sr. ESM Consultant