nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Physical port monitoring

2003-02-20 11:50:01
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Physical port monitoring
From: "Mike Walsh" <Mike.Walsh AT us.ing DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:47:41 -0600
Todd and Bernard,

Thanks for the QUICK combacks and excellant suggestions.

Bernard, Being a relatively "NEW GUY" to network monitoring, what would
your suggestion do to network performance?  I'll probably have to test it
out.

Todd, we are useing the new T!/IMA cards in Cisco Routers.  Used to use
SNMP compatible CSU/DSU's but the Cisco seem so easy and cost effective.

 Mike Walsh
****Please Note - New EMAIL Address  mike.walsh AT us.ing DOT com*********
612-342-3118

                      netview AT toddh DOT net

                                               To:       "Mike Walsh"
<Mike.Walsh AT us.ing DOT com>
                      02/20/2003 08:55         cc:       nv-l AT lists.tivoli
DOT com
                      AM                       Subject:  Re: [nv-l] Physical
port monitoring
                      Please respond to

                      nv-l

"Mike Walsh" <Mike.Walsh AT us.ing DOT com> writes:
> Goodmorning,
>
> I have a 5 T1 IMA group.  The IMA Group (Common IP address) is up but one
> of the physical T1's is hard down.  Netview does not seem to monitor or
> alarm on the failure of a single T1 in the IMA Group.  Does anyone out
> there know of a means of forceing Netview to monitor and alarm on a
single
> physical port?

Caveat: I'm not familiar with "T1's in an IMA group."  So I can offer
these general thoughts:

What do the T1's terminate into (CSU/DSU?)?  Is that device SNMP
manageable?  Would there be MIB variable you could query with netview
or a script to find what you seek?  Does the device trap on the
failure of any of hte physical links?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/