nv-l

[nv-l] MIB expression does not work correctly

2003-01-03 11:24:45
Subject: [nv-l] MIB expression does not work correctly
From: "Mildeberger, Thorsten" <thorsten.mildeberger AT eds DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 16:24:45 -0000
Hi all,
sorry for stressing you all up again, but these are really my first attempts
in the "snmpCollect / mibExpr.conf" area.

I´m working on DHCP monitoring. Therefore I loaded the DHCP.mib and looked
for a way to monitor the amount of "free DHCP addresses". The MIB variable,
that has to be used here best, is named "noAddFree" (number of free
addresses).

problem 1:
is there really no way to use a "less than" operator for specifying
thresholds? I´m lost. All I can see in Netview is this hardcoded "greater
than" symbol. It would be quite easy to compare MIB variable "noAddFree"
against a threshold using a "less than" operator.

problem 2:
I made some testing with a self-made MIB expression. In theory it returns
the amount of DHCP addresses, that are still free. To be able to use the
hardcoded "greater than" operator, the value of this expression is always
negative.

That is the expression:

DhcpStillFree \
"noAddinUse - (noAddFree + noAddinUse)" \
        .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.2. \
        .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.3. \
        .1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.3.2.1.1.2. + -

snmpCollect is gathering data, but for some reason the values shown are
always equal to "0". On the other hand the MIB browser is showing the
correct values for MIB variables "noAddinUse" and "noAddFree", so I´m
wondering a little. Is it also not allowed to use and display negative
thresholds? Hopefully not!

Who can shine some light on me please. Thanks a lot for all your great help
and support!!! I won´t forget it :o)

We are going with Netview 7.1.2.

best regards,