nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Back on the authenticationFailure trail again

2002-10-03 23:06:19
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Back on the authenticationFailure trail again
From: Joe Fernandez <jfernand AT kardinia DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 13:06:19 +1000
Hi John,
For what its worth, I think the specific MIB browsing results you list
below are correct (but this does not necessarily help you with resolving
your trap problem).

The MIBs you load into the NMS only affect resolving of numbers into
labels, not what gets polled or whether or not you get object variable
values returned by devices.

The CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB does not define any new variables - it just assigns
labels to Cisco product OIDs. When you issue the MIB browse commands that
you list below, on the ciscoProducts branch, whether from the GUI browser
or the command line with snmpget/snmpwalk, you will not get object variable
values returned because there are no objects in that part of the tree. This
is what you see. Loading this MIB only results in 48, 301 etc being
translated,as you note.

Regarding the product identification query, I believe the way NetView asks
"What product are you?" is an SNMP Get on
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysObjectID.0 and this should
return the OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.48 if it is a Cisco 7505.

Regarding the NetView manual telling you to query
.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib.system.sysDescr.0, this must be a typo.
"mib" was defined in RFC 1066 back in August 1988 and made obsolete by RFC
1156 in May 1990. I have never seen a vendor claim to implement it. They
all implement "mib-2" which was defined in RFC 1213 in 1991.

My $0.02.

Back to your trap - I would check the  snmp view setting , suggested by
another list subscriber (sorry, I have lost the mail.)

At 11:12 AM 3/10/2002 +0100, john.j.mackney AT accenture DOT com wrote:

>Joe (and all)
>
>I think I posted a note yesterday to this effect. But this is more concise
>(sorry about the verbosity)
>
>I can browse the MIBs on all of the offending Cisco boxes, but not the
>entire MIB. For example:
>The ENTERPRISE oid sent with a trap .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.48 does not seam to
>resolve to a value in the MIB browser although I can see that it translates
>to .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoProduct.cisco7505
>
>When I click Start Query using this oid, the message field says:
>Note: using community "readnamestring" for node 10.64.16.6
>Warning: no value(s) returned for query

>If I try to duplicate this from the command line, the command doesn't work
>
>snmpget  10.64.16.6   .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.48
>snmpget: This variable does not exist:
>.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.ciscoProducts.cisco7505.
>
>From this I would deduce that what the trap actually says is:  You asked
>for information from my MIB about what product I am - but I do not have a
>value in my MIB for this variable - so I'm sending you an
>authenticationFailure trap instead
>
>Now this is interesting. If I issue the following snmpwalk command,  I
>get....
>
>snmpwalk 10.64.16.6   .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.48
>no MIB objects contained under subtree
>
>If I issue the following, I get...
>
>snmpwalk 10.64.16.6   .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1
>no MIB objects contained under subtree
>
>BUT, If I issue the following, I get...
>
>snmpwalk 10.64.16.6   .1.3.6.1.4.1.9
>cisco.local.interfaces.ligTable......  : INTEGER: 1  etc. etc.
>
>what I would have expected would have been:
>cicsco.ciscoProductes.....
>
>Also. If I issue the following command I found in the documentation, I
>get...
>
>snmpget 10.64.16.6  system.systemDescr.0
>system.sysDescr.0: DISPLAY STRING- (ascii): Cisco Internetwork Operating
>System Software
>IOS (tm) RSP Software (RSP-IK2SV-M), Version 12.1(7)E1,......  etc. etc.
>
>However, if I issue the following command (i.e. the default value prefix as
>stated in the NetView reference manual page 262) I get an error
>
>snmpget 10.64.16.6   .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib.system.sysDescr.0
>snmpget: Invalid object identifier:
>"iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib.system.sysDescr.0
>
>BUT if I issue this command, I get the correct information??
>snmpget 10.64.16.6   .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sysDescr.0
>system.sysDescr.0: DISPLAY STRING- (ascii): Cisco Internetwork Operating
>System Software
>IOS (tm) RSP Software (RSP-IK2SV-M), Version 12.1(7)E1,......  etc. etc.
>
>So it looks like the MIB variables I'm polling for do not match the layout
>of the MIBs on the cisco devices.
>AND the default value prefix for a MIB query is using ...mgmt.MIB-2...

>(where its documented to be ...mgmt.MIB...)
>
>What's going on. Is this all because I do not have the correct MIBs loaded
>for my product set?
> [...]

Joe Fernandez
Kardinia Software
jfernand AT kardinia DOT com