nv-l

Re: [nv-l] NetView and Cnat

2002-10-01 15:53:51
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView and Cnat
From: netview AT toddh DOT net (Todd H.)
To: Luiz Otavio Loy Silveira <LLoy AT prolan.com DOT br>
Date: 01 Oct 2002 14:53:51 -0500
Luiz Otavio Loy Silveira <LLoy AT prolan.com DOT br> writes:
>  Hi Stephen ,
>
> I need to manage 10 network with the same IP addresses, but from
> different customers (addresses overlap) in one NetView .
>
> Questions:
> 2. Can I manage multiple subnets with the same IP Address range using the
> same CNAT on the same machine ?

I don't think so because CNAT asks for translation rules, and has no
primitive (so far as I can tell) for dealing with different
translation domains individually.  If CNAT somehow had a notion of
handling multiple inbound interfaces separately (e.g. your netview
server has one NIC per "customer", then I could see it at least being
possible...but I see no indication in the documentation that CNAT is
that smart).

The other issue is -- if you let your customers use whatever address
in the 10. range they want -- where are you going to find enough IP
addresses that you own to translate their 10.'s into?  You'd need a
class A worth of IP addresses for each customer in the worst case.

I recently faced a similar task, and came to the conclusion that CNAT
wouldn't solve my general case of overlapping private ip's for various
private networks.  If I could somehow manage it technically, the
management details of maintaining mapping and NAT consistent between
routers and the CNAT box would be a logistical nightmare.  And then
when you go to send an alert to your customer based on NetView's
actions... how do you get it back into an ip address or name they will
recognize?

It's a thorny tough problem....and I don't see a good way around
having one dedicated NetView server per customer in that case.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/