nv-l

[nv-l] MLM snmpv2 support (rephrased)

2002-10-01 15:47:34
Subject: [nv-l] MLM snmpv2 support (rephrased)
From: "Jerald Jackson" <Jerald.Jackson AT bcbsnc DOT com>
To: <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 15:47:34 -0400
All,

My apologies for the inflammetory remarks contained in the previous message.
Brian Backer was kind enough to point
me to the list archive to search for a solution.

What is confusing to me is that most of the solutions seem to involve creating
an snmpv1 mib file that can be loaded
via xnmloadmib.  That's very nice, but my question for anyone who might know,
"Why is snmpv2 not supported in
MLM and in the snmpagent for TEC?"  When I searched on this subject a few weeks
ago with regard to the TEC snmpagent
I was told that TEC and NetView were being combined to an unstated degree and
that the supported path for
handling snmp traps was NetView.

Like another post from earlier, I have several DMZ's from which I need to get
events.  MLM is perfect for this purpose, but
for the lack of snmpv2 support.

At Planet Tivoli earlier this year I heard one speaker state that "a NetView
server in each DMZ" was the method of
choice.  From IBM's perspective, I am sure that is nice, but like the earlier
post, I haven't that sort of budget.   Another
suggestion was to place a Linux NetView server in each DMZ.  This however would
mean adding an additional server
in each DMZ.  I would really prefer to use the AIX management server that we
already have in each DMZ.  Going to upper
management for more funds to by an extra server for each DMZ, with the sole
explanation that Tivoli only supports
the snmpv2 standard on the NetView servers, probably isn't going to fly.

Again, for anyone who is listening from IBM/Tivoli, this is a feature that is
needed by some of us.

Regards,

Jerald Jackson

(Again, I do apologize for any offensive remarks earlier.)