nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Problem to discover SUN server with snmp access

2002-09-06 03:25:13
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Problem to discover SUN server with snmp access
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:25:13 +0100
Francois,
Are you running SUN's own SEA agent or the UCD agent?  Check the config of the
agent.  It looks to me like the agent maybe permits access to the system part
of MIB2 but not other parts.  This tends to be typical with the UCD agent.  You
will need to open access to all of MIB2 to get NetView to really think he
supports SNMP.

Cheers,
Jane

Francois Le Hir wrote:

> Guys,
> I am trying to get Netview to discover a SUN server with snmp. The
> community string is in the file communityNames.conf. Netmon has the -h
> option. The ip address of the server is in the seed file in order to force
> discovery as soon as I restart netmon.
> The server get discovered in Netview but without the snmp access, as if the
> community string was not available.
> I  checked that I can talk snmp to the server and I traced netmon (-M15) to
> see how netmon discover the device. (see the trace below) Apparently
> Netview talk snmp to the device but stop on the variable IPaddr. The server
> never get added in the snmp database.
>
> Do you have any idea what could be the problem ?
>
> Thanks,
> Salutations, / Regards,
>
> Francois Le Hir

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2002 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.