nv-l

Re: [nv-l] MLM's or Clients

2002-09-25 08:56:06
Subject: Re: [nv-l] MLM's or Clients
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:56:06 -0400
A client, that is, a native NetView client, is basically just a GUI.  It
is a way to avoid telneting to the NetView server and exporting your
display back to see the map.  That off-loads some of X burden from your
server and you can have more clients than you could support telnets.  It
has no daemons of its own and doesn't do anything for you in terms of
discovery, or polling, or anything like that.  An MLM is just the
opposite.  It is a GUI-less remote agent which lets you off-load polling
and discovery for a particular subnet to that remote agent so that netmon
does not have to do it, though he will if that agent is unavailable.  An
MLM has no GUI, though the NetView server offers you a GUI to configure it
(smconfig) and smartsets to see what it is monitoring.
They couldn't be more different animals.   Think about that and then
perhaps you can ask more specific questions.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Scott Hammons" <s.hammons AT ais-nms DOT com>
09/25/2002 05:41 PM
Please respond to s.hammons