nv-l

Re: [nv-l] More on netmon.seed ranges

2002-09-25 04:45:14
Subject: Re: [nv-l] More on netmon.seed ranges
From: john.j.mackney AT accenture DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:45:14 +0100
Forgot to copy to the list

----- Forwarded by John J. Mackney/External/Accenture on 25/09/2002 09:45
-----

              John J. Mackney

                                               To:      James Shanks <jshanks
AT us.ibm DOT com>
              24/09/2002 18:54                 cc:

                                               Subject: Re: [nv-l] More on
netmon.seed ranges

Thanks James (and all),

Actually  after reviewing the replies here, and studying the UNIX
configuration guide I think what I have in my seed file is actually what I
want.
i.e. I have specified all the routers and excluded all the DHCP ranges. I
didn't quite appreciate how ranges limited discovery, but as I do not want
to discover any nodes outside the ranges I have specified, what I have is
in fact what I need.

What is confusing me though is why netmon doesn't discover some (what I
would consider as ) perfectly discoverable nodes i.e they can be pinged,
they have DNS entries and I can snmpget information using the correct
community name strings. I suppose they are only not discovered because
there is no ARP entry or routing table entry somewhere (though I find this
hard to accept).

I intend to add these missing nodes by tacking them onto the end of the
netmon.seed file - then when everything has been discovered, clearing them
out and just leaving the routers and HSRP addresses.

Thanks again all
John

              James Shanks

              <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>             To:      nv-l AT
lists.tivoli DOT com
                                               cc:

              24/09/2002 17:16                 Subject: Re: [nv-l] More on
netmon.seed ranges

You might want to review the functions of the seed file in the
Installation Manual or the help.

Ranges do not force discovery, they only permit discovery.
Only individual entries will force discovery, as you found out
netmon explicitly seeks those interfaces/nodes at start up.
For the others he reads the arp cache of what he has already discovered.
That's why routers are good candidates for the seed file.

By adding a range you have limited discovery to just what is in that
range.
If netmon finds anything else, it will throw it away.
So you can prevent discovery of anything outside the individual entries in
the seed file by adding an invalid range such as 3.3.3.* at the end of
your file.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

john.j.mackney AT accenture DOT com
09/24/2002 11:38 AM