nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Re: [tme10] [TEC] NV 7.1.2 + TEC 3.7.1 new ruleset(s)

2002-09-17 07:35:14
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Re: [tme10] [TEC] NV 7.1.2 + TEC 3.7.1 new ruleset(s)
From: James Shanks <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 07:35:14 -0400

I think you guys are looking at the new stuff all wrong.  It's purpose is
to provide "out-of-the-box" integration for those folks who have not, and
will not, customize the two products like you have.  If you have invested
many hours in your own TEC customization, then it is probably only of
passing interest to you, though it may contain a few things you didn't
think of doing (and maybe not).   That's why it is optional.

The original TEC rules only did things like close Node Downs when matching
Node Ups arrived.  The new stuff is more complex and deals with many more
cases, including Interface Downs and Networks Unreachable and all that.
I didn't write it , so I cannot summarize it for you, but it is, after all,
just a sample.  You are welcome to use your own custom suit if the one
"off-the-rack" doesn't fit.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                      Jane Curry

                      <jane.curry@skills        To:       tme10 AT lists.tivoli
DOT com, NetView mailing list
                      -1st.co.uk>                <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>

                                                cc:

                      09/17/02 01:58 AM         Subject:  [nv-l] Re: [tme10]
[TEC] NV 7.1.2 + TEC 3.7.1
                                                 new ruleset(s)

Hi Blane,
I looked at netview.rls only last week and rather thought it was a backward
step
in functionality.  It looked like most of  the correlation had disappeared
and
there were lots of trivial rules that could have been written far more
efficiently.  I only had an hour or so,  and I may have missed some
subtlties but
I have it on my list to go back and probably rewrite lots of netview.rls
and
incorporate some of the correlation from nvserverd.rls, as a starting
point.

Anyone else??
Cheers,
Jane

Blane_P_Robertson AT reliantenergy DOT com wrote:

> Good day all,
>
> Is anyone using the new TEC ruleset provided by NV 7.1.2 or TEC FixPack2?
> If so, are you performing any actions based on the events that are
> delivered to TEC from NetView 7.1.2?  We feel, after analysis, that the
> "actionable" event(s) should be node/router down/marginal, yet out of the
> box these are effect events and not causal events.
>
> Put simply, has anyone found any value with this new TEC ruleset
> (TEC_ITS_BASE)?  We are open to any ideas/suggestions.
>
> Please reply directly to me since I only receive the digest...
>
> Peace,
> Blane Robertson
> IT - Nerve Center
> Reliant Energy, Inc.
> 713.207.2002
>
> "I am with you always, I will always be holding your hand; I will guide
you
> with My counsel, and take you into My glory ... I am the strength of your
> heart and your portion forever."  Ps 73:23-26

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2002 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.