nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Switch Analyzer and MLM questions...

2002-09-10 15:37:25
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Switch Analyzer and MLM questions...
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:37:25 +0100
Hi Kevin,
In addition to Stephen's words of wisdom, you need to understand that you will
never get into the
NetView database, anything that netmon cannot ping at least once - unless you
manually add nodes using
the GUI or the loadhosts command.  Even if you tell the MLM to discover, and
there is no firewall
between the MLM and those devices, MLM passes back it's table of discovered
nodes to netmon via SNMP -
but netmon won't add them to his database unless he has confirmed this info
with a ping to each node.
Since this is definitely blocked by your firewall, you're stuck.

I don't think Switch Analyzer will buy you anything as it starts from the
NetView object database and
adds on further, L2 info from there.  I believe that Switch Analyzer has to be
installed on the same box
as a Sun or AIX NetView so this doesn't fit well anyway with your remote MLM on
NT.

Cheers,
Jane

"Gow Kevin (KTSO 4)" wrote:

> I am planning to implement a MLM on NT 4 (which will communicate with AIX
> 4.3.3 and NV 7.1.2)
> to monitor objects behind a fire-wall. The Fire-Wall does not let ping or
> snmp packets through.
>
> What will I be able to see through that MLM? Will I see a mini topology
> layout, or just a collection
> of objects. Will the switch analyzer be able to see what is happening behind
> the firewall? I have
> not done this before, so I have no idea what to expect...
>
> Tips / experience / insights more than welcome.
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Kevin Gow
> CREDIT SUISSE FINANCIAL SERVICES

Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
Copyright (c) 2002 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All rights
reserved.