nv-l

[nv-l] Problems..

2002-08-16 04:40:36
Subject: [nv-l] Problems..
From: cfrantse AT csc DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:40:36 +0200
Hi!

I'm seeing some strange behaviors with 2 of my Netview boxes. Solaris8,
Netview 7.1.2

First is node status, it quite often displays the wrong status of nodes,
for instance a node can be yellow in the map and when you select it and
issue a demand poll all interfaces are up and running but the map is still
not updated (I'm looking at a node right now that has become like this). It
doesn't matter if I use the java or X gui. I'm monitoring these routers via
a loopback interface using SNMP status polling.

I have had interfaces gone red without them being down, nodes and networks
becoming unreachable despite being up and running etc.

I also have some strange behavior with unreachable events. Sometimes when a
node becomes unreachable i get interface uncreachable events every
pollingcycle telling me that the interfaces are unreachable.

And last but not least some other questions:
Every loopback interface gets a ip network icon on the map (If the loopback
is 10.10.1.1 then I get a network symbol with the same name), is that the
correct behavior? The interfaces has netmask 255.255.255.255 so it's quite
impossible for that to contain more IP's than the one assigned to the
loopback interface. It's no biggie, I hide them from the map, but still :-)

Sometimes when using the java GUI I get the option to select from 2 maps
when doing File->Open, one Read-Only and one Read-Write. This happens if I
have been using the X GUI to make some changes and then exit that and
netviewd starts up.

All information about the above is highly appreciated!

Christian Frantsen
CSC, Computer Sciences Corporation
Jonkoping, Sweden

"I don't need to test my programs. I have an error-correcting modem."