nv-l

[nv-l] Re: Netview Redundancy / Failover

2002-08-02 09:31:41
Subject: [nv-l] Re: Netview Redundancy / Failover
From: "Francois Le Hir/Quebec/IBM" <flehir AT ca.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:31:41 -0400
Dave,

I am not sure there is any documentation available on that... maybe in one
of the red book (see the one for Netview 6.01).
I think that each of us developed his own script to do what is needed.
Personally I developed a script that does the following:
- each night ask the operator, close the daemon and tar the Netview
database (backup)
- every 10 days do a compress on the Netview database (one backup before
and one after)
- every month, ask the operator to change tapes and do a complete tape
backup of the server.
(I have TSM running every night on top of that, therefore all the saved
version of the Netview database are part of the backup.)

The same script running on an other server (different parameter) does a rcp
every night to get the Netview database that is 24 hours old from the first
server and restore it. It then does a reset_ci and also import some
specific files (snmp database, lrf files,  ....) and restart the Netview
daemons. (both server are in the same IP subnet to make sure that it will
work)

This way I only have to maintain the map on one server and my second server
is always up to date (just 24 hours later) and ready to be used by the
operators in case my main server fails. Both system are online and are
polling the network, this way the time to synchronize is shorter if I have
to use the backup server.

Both systems are running Netview 6.0.3 on AIX and my database has about
55000 objects.
I will share my script if you request it.

Regards,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services