nv-l

Re: [nv-l] Netview 7.1.1 on NT Event Log Duration

2002-06-20 10:31:31
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Netview 7.1.1 on NT Event Log Duration
From: jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 10:31:31 -0400
You cannot set a retention period directly.  It doesn't work like that.

Events in NT are kept in a database, either MS Access by default or SQL if
you install it.  The trapd daemon stores the events and you tell him how
many you want to keep before he purges it.  These are options on the
daemon himself.  Start serversetup and when it comes up, pull down the
daemon control window and select the trap daemon.  Then change the max
number to store to something higher than the default 5000.  If you are
losing events after two days, then it sounds like you would want to up the
count by about 2500 for every additional day you want to keep.

By the way, you are not in the Event Log but in the Event Browser.  There
is no "Event Log", per se, though you can use the same serversetup panel
to tell trapd to keep an ASCII file of processed traps in
\usr\ov\log\trapd.log if you wish.   This is there for compatibility with
UNIX, which does not have an event database, unless you install an RDBMS
and set it up to use that.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Bradford Song" <Bradford.Song AT goodmanfielder.com DOT au>
06/20/2002 02:15 AM