nv-l

[nv-l] RE:var file system & snmpd.log

2002-06-06 15:07:57
Subject: [nv-l] RE:var file system & snmpd.log
From: "Francois Le Hir/Quebec/IBM" <flehir AT ca.ibm DOT com>
To: <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:07:57 -0400
Judy,

the relationship between Netview and /var could be all the logs in
/var/log. Is your machine also recieving also recieving the syslog from the
devices on your network ?

you can delete any log in /var/log (including snmp.log) however, for the
loging to restart you have too
- create the destination file for the syslog as configured in
/etc/syslog.conf  (use the command touch)
- make sure the file is writable by the syslogd daemon
- restart the syslogd daemon so that the login restart. (or refresh of the
process)

one easy way to reset a log file without stoping the daemon is also to
truncate the file with a command like "echo > file"

Good luck,

Francois Le Hir
Network Projects & Consulting Services
IBM Global Services