nv-l

Re: [nv-l] unformat trap question

2002-04-08 13:04:25
Subject: Re: [nv-l] unformat trap question
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 13:04:25 -0400
It is rather hard to explain, but I will try.
trapd looks for the closest match in trapd.conf, and formats the incoming
trap according to that.  You only get "no fmt found" when there is nothing
even close.
In this case,  with a generic value of 6 with the specific value of 0, he
thinks that what you are trying to format is a version of the standard
generic trap zero, a coldstart trap, and he already has a definition for
that under ENTERPRISES, 1.3.6.1.4.1, (which is why it says in the log that
the enterprise id is ENTERPRISES).
This may or may not be clear, but don't worry about it.   Why not just fix
it?

As root run xnmtrap, and when it starts click "Add" in the upper section
where the enterprises are defined and just add this one.  Call it whatever
you like, (the vendor's name perhaps?), and give the enterprise id as
"1.3.6.1.41.2620.1.1"  (don't start with a dot, that is assumed here)  and
then click "OK"  That will define the enterprise.  Then the bottom half of
the page in xnmtrap will empty and the "Add" button will highlight.  Click
it to add an entry for this trap.  Call it whatever you like, but make
sure the Enterprise Specific box is shown below "Generic Trap" and type in
"0" for the "Specific Trap Number".   If you just click "OK" at this
point, then the next time the trap comes it will format according to what
is shown under "Event Log Message".  There is only one variable -- that
long ASCII string which you see in the log, so there isn't much point in
getting too fancy here.

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"D'Apice, Dominic" <D.D'Apice AT SAQ.qc DOT ca>
04/08/2002 11:48 AM