nv-l

Re: [nv-l] trace on what variables a specific trap send to netview

2002-04-18 10:55:31
Subject: Re: [nv-l] trace on what variables a specific trap send to netview
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:55:31 -0400
There is a trace function in trapd, which will show you the contents of
each trap received in hexadecimal.  The parts that are ASCII characters
are shown also in an "eyecatcher" which is also printed with the trace. If
you want to understand the complete hexadecimal output, you would have to
get a book on SNMP formats and decode that trap.    Otherwise you could
call Support and have them do it for you, if you require proof that trapd
is telling the truth about what he got.
If that's what you want to do, use serversetup to configure trapd to hex
dump all packets.  This causes him to run with the -x option.  Then when
he is up and running and you want to capture something in the trace, you
type "trapd -T" to toggle the trace on.  Typing "trapd -T from the command
line turns it off again.  Unless you change it, the name of the trace file
will be /usr/OV/log/trapd.trace.

But if trapd says it only got one variable, the fact is that  it only got
one variable.  He's never been wrong about that before in the 6 years I
have been working on this product.  That's all your agent sent.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"D'Apice, Dominic" <D.D'Apice AT SAQ.qc DOT ca>
04/18/2002 10:39 AM