nv-l

[nv-l] Unique hostnames for sending events to TEC

2002-03-18 16:09:10
Subject: [nv-l] Unique hostnames for sending events to TEC
From: "Treptow, Craig" <Treptow.Craig AT principal DOT com>
To: "NetView List (E-mail)" <nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:09:10 -0600
Hi.  We are running Netview 6.0.2 on AIX 4.3.3 and send events to TEC to page.

Currently, the TEC is setup with a "duplicate detector", so multiple events
from the same host only page on the first event, and just increment a counter
for the others.  This causes us issues because routers, for instance, can send
a lot of events about differently things (different interfaces, Frame-Relay
DLCI status changes for different sites, etc.).

So, I raised this as an issue with our internal TEC support team, and they
would like me to pursue concatenating onto the hostname, some other string to
make the hostname in TEC unique".

For example:

Instead of:

hostname=[router1] interface=[eth0]
hostname=[router1] interface=[eth1]

We would send:

hostname=[router1-eth0] interface=[eth0]
hostname=[router1-eth1] interface=[eth1]

It appears to me that "$A", in Netview is fixed and I cannot modify it in this
way.

Can anybody confirm this, or otherwise help me?

Thanks.

Craig