nv-l

impact of tracing (was: Re: [nv-l] No events displayed)

2002-03-06 22:54:55
Subject: impact of tracing (was: Re: [nv-l] No events displayed)
From: netview AT toddh DOT net (Todd H.)
To: "Ray Westphal" <westphal AT accessus DOT net>
Date: 06 Mar 2002 21:54:55 -0600
"Ray Westphal" <westphal AT accessus DOT net> writes:
> Hello Scott,
>
> If you have tracing enabled on trapd daemon, run the trapd -T
> command to start a trace. (See the serversetup trapd configuration.)
> Wait about 30 seconds and run the command again to stop the
> trace. Usually the trace will dump to /usr/OV/log/trapd.trace. Edit

Speaking of tracing--how much overhead does it put on the NetView
processes  does daemon tracing add?    Is it simply out the question
to run with it on?  If so, how much additional delay would one expect?
Granted, disk space is a concern, but in terms of overall server
performance?     I'm just trying to get a sense of whether the option
is so invasive that it'll slow everything down dramatically.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/