nv-l

Re: [nv-l] NetView AIX 7.1

2002-03-25 08:58:13
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NetView AIX 7.1
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:58:13 -0500
I was hoping some other users would respond, but as they haven't, I will.

I don't believe that NetView education has caught up to 7.1 yet.  If I
hear differently, I will post it.

But even so I don't think you should be installing 6.0.2.  7.1 is clearly
the better choice.
(1) Version 6.0 goes out of support October 26, so you'd only have to do
another migration before the end of the year.
(2)  Version 6.0 requires the Framework while 7.1 does not, and as I
recall, you were migrating from NT, so you haven't had to deal with the
Framework before.  Unless you are also going to install other Tivoli
products like TEC or Inventory, I wouldn't bother with a Framework.
(3)  The new maintenance for 7.1, 7.1.1 went to manufacturing two weeks
ago, and will be generally available  by April 12.   It is now ahead of
6.0.3 in maintenance, and will stay there until the last maintenance for
6.0 is shipped, right before it goes out of support.
(4)  There are other new features in 7.1, such as an improved java-based
MIB loader browser for use with the web client, which make it preferable
feature-wise.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Herman.E.Caballero AT Lowes DOT Com
03/22/2002 01:55 PM