nv-l

Re: snmp trap and forward trap to T/ec / try #2

2001-12-14 10:08:48
Subject: Re: snmp trap and forward trap to T/ec / try #2
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:08:48 -0500
Dominic -

You must walk before you can run, and you must read before you can
successfully configure NetView to do this.
Did you install the on-line books that came with NetView?  There are books
included just for new users like you.  And some which veryone has to
consult from time to time.

Answers:

1. You can add a trap definition to NetView in one of two ways, with or
without a MIB. With a MIB, you run the mib2trap command (type in "man
mib2trap" in a command window and you will learn how that works).  The
outptut of mib2trap is a script file containing addtrap commands, one for
each trap defined in the MIB.
You just execute the script when mib2trap produces it.  If you want to
understand what it is doing see the man page on addtrap (type in "man
addtrap").

Without a MIB you use the Trap Configuration dialog.  There are two ways
to invoke it.  You can get it off the main NetView  GUI (Options --> Event
Configuration ---> Trap Customization) or just by typing in "xnmtrap" from
a command window.  You must be root to do this or you will not be allowed
to save your changes.
xnmtrap has a help button which you can invoke at any time, but you have
to have installed the books and have Netscape available in order for it to
work.
That was covered in the Installation Guide and release notes when the
product was installed.  If you did not install the books, I suggest you do
it now.

Once in the Trap Customization tool, you will see Enterprises at the top
and specific traps on the bottom.  If you are doing a manual entry you
will click "Add" at the top and enter the enterprise id and the name you
want it known by.  Then you can click "Add" at  the bottom ad add your
specific trap.  Try looking at other enterprises to see how this is done.
And by all means read about it in the NetView Administration manual in the
online books.  You will find a very large chapter on Event Configuration.
My advice is to spend some time with it.

2.  You cannot invent an enterprise id.  It has to be the one the vendor
is using, which will be the one assigned to him by the Internet Authority.
 If you have a MIB, then mib2trap will obtain it from the MIB.  If you
don't, then just configure the remote box to send you the trap you want
and when it arrives, you will see it in the /usr/OV/log/trapd.log and in
the event window with a big "NO FMT FOUND" message.  Then all the trap
contents will be displayed and you can use them in the Trap Customization
dialog to specify what you want to see.

3. Enterprise ids are assigned by the Internet Authority.  The follow the
standard MIB tree
iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) private (4) enterprises(1) or
1.3.6.1.4.1.   The Authority assigns the next number.  IBM is 2.  Cisco is
9.  Microsoft is 311.  From then on it is up to that vendor to say what
comes next.  If you look at the NetView enterprise, you will see that it
is 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3 and sometimes 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1   The  second "6"
IBM assigned to NetView.  The "3" we originally assigned to netmon, but
now it is used for everything internal.  The same for the final "1" in our
traps.  That's what we use, but it no longer has a special meaning.  Other
vendors have their own convention.   So you have to find out from the
vendor what enterprise he is using wen he sends this trap.
The easiest way to do that is to just have the device send it, and then
you can see it in the window or trapd.log.

Next:
Once you have the trap formatted in trapd.conf, then you can build your
ruleset to forward it to TEC.  The Trap Settings box in the ruleset will
pul the trap definitions from trapd.conf and you can then use it in your
ruleset.

If all this is just to much for you o handle all at once, then I suggest
you see about getting some help. IBM Global Services has people who can
come to your site and help you do this kind of thing, as well as customize
NetView in a more advanced way.  There are other independent vendors, many
of whom are on this forum, who can do the same thing and help you get
started.  You might also want to contact IBM/Tivoli education about
attending their classes on NetView, which are quite good.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"D'Apice, Dominic" <D.D'Apice AT SAQ.qc DOT ca>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com
12/14/2001 09:00 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion