nv-l

Re: Nvcorrd error checking

2001-12-13 20:21:26
Subject: Re: Nvcorrd error checking
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 20:21:26 -0500
Jack -

Try looking in the logs.  nvcorrd writes to an alog and a blog in
/usr/OV/log.  Errors are always written there.  nvcorrd always starts in
the alog, writes a 1000 lines, switches to blog, then writes another 1000,
and switches back.  And when there is an action to be run he hands that off
to actionsvr, who also has a pair of logs, nvaction.alog and blog, that
work the same way.   If you still don't see anything, then you can turn on
tracing, using the command "nvcdebug -d all".  There are man pages on all
this stuff, as well as lengthy discussions in the Admin Guide about how it
works.

If you read the NetView  Diagnosis Guide, you may find more hints.   There
you will learn that "Well-behaved" does not mean that the daemon is
working.  It is a static condition which reflects how it was built, not
whether it is running correctly at this particular time.  A well-behaved
daemon goes down when you do ovstop. One that is "non-well-behaved" stays
up even after the others go away.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                    "Chan, Jack"

                    <[email protected]       To:     "'IBM NetView Discussion'"

                    nisys.com>             <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

                    Sent by:              cc:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg.       Subject:     [NV-L] Nvcorrd error
checking
                    com

                    12/13/01 06:45

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hello List,

I am having a problem with nvcorrd daemon. Problem as follows:

I have a NV rule to execute a script upon receiving a trap.
I checked the trapd.log for the trap, it is there, but the script did not
execute.

ovstatus shows nvcorrd (and all the daemons) are RUNNING and well behaved.
Another symptom I see is the control desktop is not updating (through
exceed and Linux console as well). After I ovstop and ovstart, the script
is executing again.

I have DM profile to check for daemon up, and scripts to do ovstatus |grep
RUNNING and ovstatus |grep OVs_WELL_BEHAVED. But both of these checking
mechanism are NOT picking up the nvcorrd is not working as it is supposed
to (because it still thinks it is RUNNING and well behaved)

How can I check that nvcorrd is REALLY running? Some sort of heartbeat
using ruleset maybe?

regards,

Jack.