nv-l

Re: NetView maintenance release 6.0.3

2001-12-11 17:23:12
Subject: Re: NetView maintenance release 6.0.3
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 17:23:12 -0500
IBM/Tivoli requires that the old version stay in service for a year
following the general availability of a new one.
That means you have up to one year to plan and execute your migration, and
during that time you may call Support and get help or fixes for your
problems, if you have a maintenance contract.  This allows for parallel
testing and so forth.

The one year overlap is also why things stay in service longer in Asia,
because the translated versions are generally a calendar quarter behind.

Currently,  it is also required that no more than two releases can be in
service at one time, so 5.1 is effectively out of service, though the
actual date of EOS is January 31, 2002.   They were late with the
withdrawal notice, so it was extended a bit.   It is still  possible to
get a special extension, of course, but such contracts are rare and
expensive, with provisions like "no new environments", "Sev 1 defects
only", and the like.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

"Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ AT banksa.com DOT au>
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com
12/11/2001 05:03 PM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion