nv-l

Re: A better mousetrap?

2001-12-11 16:38:38
Subject: Re: A better mousetrap?
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:38:38 -0500
Ray,

Are you building a collection of Interface objects or routers?     You
first state that you are looking at ifType then setting a field on those
objects, then you are getting the "IP Hostname" from that object.
That appears to not add up to me.   How are you switching from interface
object to node objects?

Assuming that all works ok, I would recommend this:

1.  Build a SmartSet using your ifType and status field values....   nvcold
then will keep that smartset populated properly.   No cron steps needed.
No mass hits against your database, as field values change nvcold will read
it and populate the SmartSet.

2.  To get the list,   nvUtil -l <name>     where <name> is the Smartset
name.   One simply command.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701