nv-l

RE: MLM Collections and Oracle

2001-11-29 10:53:15
Subject: RE: MLM Collections and Oracle
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:53:15 -0600
Thomas,

I wonder if APM really freezes up, or is really trying to talk to the
hundreds of MLMs at initialization.    I would guess that it could take as
long as an hour to initialize, or more.     Did you do that many MLMs
because each one is behind a slow link?   I truely hope that you have not
distributed polling to them from netmon.    As an experienced architect of
large solutions it would not be recommended.

Did you do this because you have 400 subnets you want to collect data from?
Again, there are ways to do that with NetView, MLMs and APM that does not
require 400 MLMs.     There are some good experienced architects that can
help you if you choose to use them.  I don't do this anymore, but I know
others that do.   If you want to contact them, respond directly to me via
email or phone.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701