nv-l

RE: Actionsvr daemon not getting started

2001-11-20 07:13:04
Subject: RE: Actionsvr daemon not getting started
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:13:04 -0500
Did you do a  "ps -ef  | grep act" and see if one was still running?  If
the old one remains after ovstop, because it somehow got unparented, and
thus cannot be shut down by ovspmd any longer, then it will have 1670 open
and you will not be able to start a new actionsvr until all the old ones
have been killed.   I have seen this behavior occur when the action that
actionsvr has been set up to do itself gets hung, so that the actionsvr
child is not able to complete the action and exit even though his parent
has sent him the kill signal and gone away.

You can also check that 1670 really is in use by using netstat -a.  If you
find that it is, then you should go looking for the process which has it
open.  This is not easily done in UNIX unless you have lsof (which you can
obtain off the web and install), but if your actionsvr usually starts, then
it is a good bet that there is an old one still around.

You also should  investigate the action you have asked you actionsvr to do
and try to determine why it gets hung.  Remember that each iteration of an
action cause actionsvr to spawn a separate actionsvr child.  If each one is
going to do something like a database update, the later ones will have to
wait until the earlier ones complete since access to the database is a
serial process.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

                    anand anupam

                    <ananda@bharatpetr       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l AT tkg DOT com>
                    oleum.com>               cc:

                    Sent by:                 Subject:     RE: [NV-L] Actionsvr
daemon not getting
                    owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com        started

                    11/20/01 04:16 AM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Hi James,

I have experienced the same problem. Actionsvr was down and I was not able
to restart it. I checked all its references as suggested by you but I could
not locate any one. Usual ovstart/ovstop was also not helping and finally,
the server was rebooted to resolve this problem

Also, as clarified by you that opening the netview map should not be any
issue from any userid other than root even if actionsvr is down. In our
case, it was not happening. I mean no one was able to open the netview map
and every one was getting the same error message that required daemons
actionsvr is down.

In nvaction.alog there was an error saying that it could not open the port
1670 which is the default port. What could be the reason?

Regds....Anupam