nv-l

Re: snmp configuration question?????

2001-11-14 16:11:05
Subject: Re: snmp configuration question?????
From: "Joseph R Smith" <jrsmith AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:11:05 -0500
It has been my experience that SNMP traps generated by AIX will reflect the
value of the hostid. By default, the hostid is set in /etc/rc.net using the
following command

/usr/sbin/hostid `hostname`

I suppose you could hardcode the value of hostid or make sure `hostname`
returns a value that resolves to the correct IP address.

Joseph R. Smith - CCDA, CCNA, MCP, MCSE
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant - V3.6
I/T Architect - Systems Integration - Consulting
IBM Global Services - SDC Northeast
1630 Long Pond Road, Rochester, NY 14626
Phone 585 723 4957 Tie Line 451 4957

                    Eric Pobst

                    <epobst00@yaho       To:     IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l
AT tkg DOT com>
                    o.com>               cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     [NV-L] snmp configuration

                    owner-nv-l@tkg        question?????

                    .com

                    11/14/2001

                    04:04 PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

Does anyone know a way to configure an AIX snmp agent
to send traps only as a particular ip (origin).  I
suspect it is a simple entry in the snmpd.conf file,
like address 10.160.1.23 or something along those
lines.  The customer site I am at uses "Round Robin"
(i am not big fan) so bascially one event could come
in with origin1 ...open trouble ticket.....5 minutes
later, the same event comes in with origin2 (same
box)...opens new trouble ticket instead of treating as
duplicate.  To avoid TEC work, if we could bind to one
interface at the agent level, that should correct our
problem and perhaps save a lot of on going work.

thanks,

Eric
AIX 6.0.2