nv-l

RE: Acknowledged trap generated by trapd

2001-11-07 10:43:15
Subject: RE: Acknowledged trap generated by trapd
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:43:15 -0600
Don,

Are you saying that you see issues like extra traps when people just exit
Exceed?      This is caused by runaway kids?  (orphaned daemons)   :-)

Instead of relying on your monitoring to catch it and inform you, how about
doing this to routinely kill all non-parented daemons.

1.  Run /usr/OV/service/nvstat -cleanup       out of cron every 30 minutes
2.  As part of your monitors....configure the nvstat -cleanup command as
part of your automated response

Under NetView 5.1   I still found some user processes hanging around after
nvstat ran...but I fixed that by updating nv6000_smit   (subroutine
get_ovwappinitpids) with the daemons that were left.    Not sure if that
still exists in newer releases.

Kind regards,
Stephen Hochstetler              shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
International Technical Support Organization  - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564                      FAX - 512-436-8701