nv-l

Re: OT - Unix Question

2001-11-02 08:51:49
Subject: Re: OT - Unix Question
From: "CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ AT tlc.state.tx DOT us>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 07:51:49 -0600
Don,

I have used tar to compress the file but pax to extract the files
 pax -rvf xxx.tar.file

I have never done it in one command. I do the following on the TO System:
1)ftp the opeview tar file from system1
2)stoppd all gui's
3)stopped all daemons
4) delete the contents of /usr/OV/databases/openview
5) pax -rvf xxx.tar.file
6)/usr/OV/service/reset_ci
7)restart daemons
8)restart netview.

I also bring over fields, symbols and bitmaps directories. I have only done
this on two identical systems. Same netview version, os, and framework. Also,
the 2 systems are in the same subnet. Oh, I ususally bring the
/usr/OV/databases and not /usr/OV/databases/openview

HOpe that helps..

>>> Don_Davis AT att DOT net 11/01/01 11:49PM >>>

Does anyone know the syntax of the tar command to tar up files (NV db) on one
machine and copy them to another?

It is something like this, but I don't recall the exact syntax

tar -cvf - /usr/OV/databases/openview | ( rexec machine2 ; cd
/usr/OV/databases/openview ; tar xvf -)

Does anyone use something like this?

Don Davis