nv-l

RE: ovwdb filling up with objects

2001-10-29 15:38:41
Subject: RE: ovwdb filling up with objects
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:38:41 -0500
You can dump a nice list of the objects with
   ovobjprint -s > obj.list
This puts them in the order they were created in (object
id). It is sometimes useful to sort them on the selection
name, so you can see what objects are getting multiples
made for them.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

                    "Barr, Scott"

                    <Scott_Barr@csgsy       To:     "'IBM NetView Discussion'"

                    stems.com>               <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

                    Sent by:                cc:

                    owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT co       Subject:     RE: [NV-L]
ovwdb filling up with
                    m                        objects

                    10/29/01 02:39 PM

                    Please respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

We had a problem like this due to a device that NETMON was having trouble
during discovery. You said discovery isn't on, but if you are using a seed
file, then discovery is always running for things in your seed file.

The problem was a device on the network that had 4 async (re:ppp)
interfaces. When NETVIEW successfully queries the device, it defines a
range
of addresses to perform discovery. In our case, the address was 1.0.0.0
with
a mask of 255.255.255.0 (or similar, can't remember exactly). As a result,
many, many, many objects were added to the object database with a selection
name of "004325" or similar. I had to obtain an e-fix for this problem.
Basically netmon is creating "hints" for the objects he's going to discover
(but can't). When my object count got too high, OVw went nuts, smartsets
wouldn't keep current etc. Maybe this is your problem. I went back and
could
not find the PMR number but it might be 66843.