nv-l

RE: mib collection with smartsets

2001-10-26 14:45:28
Subject: RE: mib collection with smartsets
From: "Allie M Tate" <allie AT lsu DOT edu>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:45:28 -0500
Leslie -
I didn't think to ask this earlier: will SMIv2c be supported in 7.01 so
that counter64 is something we can use?

Allie

                    "Leslie

                    Clark"               To:     IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l
AT tkg DOT com>
                    <lclark AT us DOT ib        cc:     (bcc: Allie M
Tate/allie/LSU)
                    m.com>               Subject:     RE: [NV-L] mib collection
with smartsets
                    Sent by:

                    owner-nv-l@tk

                    g.com

                    10/25/2001

                    10:32 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    IBM NetView

                    Discussion

In addition to Paul's observation about datatypes, maybe I can
clarify the name business. Data collection is done on interfaces
by specifying the node plus the interface index. The talking is done
to the node.  Further, it won't let you collect the same mib variable
(or expression) from the same node in two different entries. You
can get around that by duplicating the expression for utilization and
giving it a different name (*_gig and *_atm, for example).

So  a way to employ smartsets here is if there is a pattern in the index
numbers.
Say your Gigabit Ethernet interfaces are all in indices 1 and 2, and your
ATM
interfaces are on indices 3 and 4. And you have a smartset containing all
of the
nodes that follow this pattern. In snmpCollect, you would specify:
 -  The mib expression for utilization of gigabit
 - The smartset containing nodes of a similar pattern
 - The interfaces in the list, 1,2
 -  The threshold for gigabit.
Then do the same for the other expression:
 -  The mib expression for utilization of atm
 - The same smartset containing nodes of a similar pattern
 - The interfaces in the list, 3,4
 -  The threshold for atm.

Smartsets will only help you here if you have a group of devices
which have their interface index numbers assigned similarly.
And be clear that the Smartset must contain  nodes, not interfaces.
For a small number of devices, it is probably easier to do this by
node. In fact, after adding one of each type, I would edit the file
(/usr/OV/conf/snmpCol.conf) and build it myself. After a stop
start of snmpCollect, check for errors in /usr/OV/log/snmpCol.trace.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

                    "Paul Maine
                    Jr."                 To:     "'IBM NetView Discussion'"
                    <[email protected]        <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>
                    om>                  cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     RE: [NV-L] mib
collection with
                    owner-nv-l@tkg        smartsets
                    .com

                    10/24/01 02:35
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to IBM NetView
                    Discussion

How are you measuring bandwidth utilization for Gigabit devices with
Netview
since it does not have 64 bit counters? A gigabit interface counter can
wrap
every 34 seconds at max rate. Netview can handle one counter wrap fine but
beyond that - the data is garbage.