nv-l

Re: SNMP Trap reception - trapd or MLM?

2001-10-26 09:46:58
Subject: Re: SNMP Trap reception - trapd or MLM?
From: "James Shanks" <jshanks AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:46:58 -0400
Huh?  Pardon me, Danny, but yes,
I think you are complicating things terribly if we are talking UNIX, which
I thought we were.

Why do you want MLM on the same box as NetView if it is NOT there to
filter traps?  It makes no sense to have him there for any other purpose
that I can see.  NetView (netmon) can handle the polling of his own subnet
just fine.

And I don't understand what you are asking when you say,

"Can I use the MLM to do the local subnet discovery and status polling and
have trapd receive the SNMP traps or does the MLM use SNMP to communicate
with NetView?"

because the two issues are independent.  Yes, you can have traps sent
right to trapd even if you are monitoring the devices which send them via
MLM.  But then your firewall must permit UDP traffic destined for port
162.  If your MLM is outside the firewall, then it will send the traps to
trapd using TCP.  But then your MLM is remote and not on the same box as
NetView.

Traps and MLM status  polling are independent.  But netmon and MLM
(midmand) do communicate using SNMP.  That's how (a) netmon discovers that
a remote box is an MLM and (b) how it gets the MLM to send it status
updates -- by SNMP gets.  And that is how you configure the MLM using
smconfig on the NetView box.  You need a write community name because
smconfig does an SNMP set to cause MLM to update his tables.

Finally I am mystified when you say that you are using MLM until you can
get CNAT deployed.  MLM and CNAT are not interchangeable.   To use  MLM
your firewalls still have to permit SNMP traffic, and they also have to be
lowered in the beginning because netmon will not put the device on the map
if he cannot ping it.  Once it is on the map it's a different story, but
SNMP traffic on port 161/UDP is still required across your firewall.  And
if  NetView on the other side gets traps directly, then it has to pass
162/UDP as well.

Have you read Steve Hochstetler's redbook on the  subject of firewalls and
NetView ?
Go to  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/ and get "Extending Network Management
Through Firewalls", SG24-6229-00
You may change your mind about the whole thing.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT
Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

Danny H Williams/UK/IBM@IBMGB
Sent by: owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com
10/26/2001 06:13 AM
Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion