nv-l

RE: Discovery Methods

2001-10-24 09:00:10
Subject: RE: Discovery Methods
From: "Barr, Scott" <Scott_Barr AT csgsystems DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:00:10 -0500
Wow, good stuff here.

The statement that not using dynamic dns would circumvent the problem
is not exactly true. Netview's DHCP handling is supposed to swap the
intefaces if the new one resolves and the old one no longer does. It is
not working for you, presumably because the nodes are unmanaged.

===> I hadn't thought of that but after consideration you are right, the
issue really is whether the node is managed or not.

How about just unmanaging the interfaces?

===> DOH, what a concept.

My favorite approach is to just exclude the DHCP address ranges
from discovery, however. This works well if you have a very tidy
addressing scheme without a lot if messy subnet masking. Any PCs
that get plugged into the network in the ranges reserved for your
network devices will show up so you can hunt them down and
punish them.

===> This is the approach I have used in the past. The only real issue is
that we get dinged with questions that can't really be authoritatively
answered without discovery of the workstations. When you see a serial link
with high utilization and find a top talker they often want to know what IP
address/mac address the device belongs to. NetView is our way of finding