nv-l

Re: dns/host/win2k dns and netview

2001-10-23 02:59:27
Subject: Re: dns/host/win2k dns and netview
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:59:27 +0100
I'm not sure what the heartache is over long names.  NetView is sensible
enough to put short names in labels on the topology GUI (even though it
discovers FQDN and uses these for the Selection Name field).  My personal
rule is to ensure DNS is up, working and comprehensive before going anywhere
NetView.  The administrative overhead of getting /etc/hosts in synch is just
not worth the effort - and what do you do re multi-homed hosts?  /etc/hosts
cannot resolve multiple addresses to a single name.

The other question is what do you do when you have a machine name clash
(company mergers, departments going UDI,...)??  DNS is designed to give
global resolution and definitely scales to meet that challenge.

If you are looking to produce reports from your event log / trapd.log that
you explicitly want to have short names, I'd be more tempted to look at
post-processing in my report generation, to strip off the domain name.

Cheers,
Jane