nv-l

dns/host/win2k dns and netview

2001-10-16 10:53:40
Subject: dns/host/win2k dns and netview
From: "CATALINA MARTINEZ" <CATALINA.MARTINEZ AT tlc.state.tx DOT us>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 09:53:40 -0500
Hello,

I am running Netview 6.0.2, AIX 4.3.3, Framework 3.7.1

There are particular Win2k servers that are registered in the win2k dns but not
in our internal dns nor the /etc/host file. Ok, so I kept getting node down/up
traps because apparently netview was having problems resolving the names.

I did the following tests:
I added 1 server to the host file to test.did a demand poll name was updated
and  all the traps stopped. Good.

Now I went and removed the name from the host file. demand poll. The named of
the server remained.

I did an nslookup no name found(forward and reverse). I did a host lookup not
found.

Question: why did the name remain on the icon label. why does netview still
recognize the name?

Thanks in advance