nv-l

Re: -- More -- RE: Facilitating discovery of IP Objects

2001-10-09 17:13:41
Subject: Re: -- More -- RE: Facilitating discovery of IP Objects
From: "Stephen Hochstetler" <shochste AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 16:13:41 -0500
Jason,

If you have loadhosts adding to topology but not to the holding area of the
R/W map you have some other issue causing you troubles.    I have only seen
this happen when the map and object databases are already out of sync and
needed to be cleaned up.   You never should have to add them separately.

Ramification for wrong subnet in loadhosts....NetView will put the icon
into the wrong subnet on the map and in database...when NetView reads the
objects MIB, it will see that the subnet is different and generate a trap
saying that this object is in the wrong subnet.    In the past I have done
an snmpget to get the subnet as you too have suggested.

>From your note, I would assume you have discovery turned off....why?   Do
you only want to manage specific resources, not pickup desktop PCs?    If
you have a testsystem NetView, restart with a fresh NetView database and I
you will see loadhosts working properly, adding nodes properly.    Doing
manual adds may have damaged your production database over time.   If you
can't get loadhosts to discover new nodes, I suggest you contact support
and follow their instructions to try to clean up the databases until it
works.   good luck.

Following the proper steps of using discovery, loadhosts, cut from this
submap/paste will not harm the databases.

Thanks,
Stephen Hochstetler            shochste AT us.ibm DOT com
ITSO Tivoli Coordinator - Austin
Office - 512-436-8564       FAX - 512-436-1991

ITSO redbooks at  http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

                    "Allison,

                    Jason                To:     "'IBM NetView Discussion'"
<nv-l AT tkg DOT com>
                    (JALLISON)"          cc:

                    <JALLISON@arin       Subject:     -- More -- RE: [NV-L]
Facilitating discovery of IP Objects
                    c.com>

                    Sent by:

                    owner-nv-l@tkg

                    .com

                    10/09/2001

                    02:08 PM

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

My process:
Delete object from all submaps.  This object is a router, directly under
the
root IP submap.  My setup is AIX 4.3.3, Netview 5.1.3.

What I have found:

loadhosts will add the node to the topology database.  However, it will not
'tickle' OVw to automatically add the object to the holding area (not
auto-layout).  If polling is disabled, this object will never get
discovered.

When I add an object to the Map, following the tme10 GUI, I get it added to
the map (OVw), but nothing gets added to the topology database.  Managing
and unmanaging the object on the map does not seem to casue any change, its
icon remains blue (learning).  All I have done is add an object to the OVw
database.

My assesment:
I need to write an application that will one, add the object to the
topology
database (you need to have the subnet mask for this, not all operators have
this information), and two, have that object given to OVw for display.

Questions:
1.  What are the ramifications for not including the objects subnetmask in
loadhosts?  I guess I could try a snmpget for that value before loading the
object.

2.  Is there a hook for changing an object/symbols OVwSubmapId?  To get
around this I guess I could save-off the current object and create a new
one, assign it, and then change the submap_id.  This is a lot of
over-engineering, but it would work.  ** Anyone know why for an object it
is
called child_submap_id and for a symbol it is just submap_id?

3.  Can someone elaborate on the communication between OVw and
netmon/ipmap?
How does Netview get these guys talking?

Conclusion:
I have gone quite far away from my problem.  However, if I can write a
routine that will do all of this for me, it will take away from the
operators workload.  This routine could be used in cases where polling is
turned off.

Is there are better approach then the one I am taking?

Thanks,
Jason