nv-l

Re: RE: command line interface

2001-08-22 17:52:52
Subject: Re: RE: command line interface
From: Rob Macgregor <rob.macgregor AT dial.pipex DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:52:52 +0100
David,
I think the problem is deeper than just needing a command line interface. In
fact,  the method that Leslie suggested of creating SmartSets can be partly done
from the command line, as there IS a command line for SmartSets (nvUtil). So you
can create a script that reads a list of nodes and builds a SmartSet.

THEN it gets messy, because you have to open each map to delete the contents of
the SmartSet. This is true because of what (I feel) is a fundamental problem
with the design of NetView, namely that the API for the map database is provided
by the GUI process itself (ovw). This means that any map operations can ONLY
take place if the GUI is open for that map ( which is why the web interface only
works with maps that are already open). So, even if you created a command line
program that deleted map symbols, it could only affect the open maps, assuming
it uses the API and doesn't dig directly into the map database (in fact, there
is an old ITSO redbook sample that allows you to create, connect, modify and
delete submaps, objects, connections... from the command line, but it uses the
API and has the same restriction). Ideally, the map  would be implemented by a
daemon, one for each map, to which different interfaces (GUI, web, CLI) could
connect. I suppose if you look at it from Tivoli development's point of view,
unpicking the API from the GUI would be a lot of work which would not enhance
the product for most users, so it may not be a high priority.

Best regards,
Rob Macgregor