nv-l

Re: Corrections to previous post : "Execute command from action serv er"

2001-08-16 13:24:25
Subject: Re: Corrections to previous post : "Execute command from action serv er"
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS AT us.tivoli DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:24:25 -0400
Thanks Don -- Didn't try it this way (obviously).
I'll pass it along.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com>@tkg.com on 08/16/2001
12:50:08 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com

To:   "'nv-l AT tkg DOT com'" <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>
cc:
Subject:  [NV-L] Corrections to previous post : "Execute command from
      action serv er"

For those of you who want to try this at home.....
1. I mis-spelled (cut/pasted) octetstringascii
2. Don't forget to add /usr/OV/conf/rulesets/CMD.rs to
/usr/OV/conf/ESE.automation before bouncing the actionsvr daemon

Don Davis

I successfully just executed a command with actionsvr from a trap.
Here's how I did it:

Ruleset Name = CMD.rs
------------------------
Event Stream = Block
Trap = hpux - Cold Start
Action = $NVATTR_1
------------------------
ovstop/ovstart actionsvr
------------------------
snmptrap <NVserver> .1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.2 <NVserver> 0 0 0
.1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.2.0 octetstringasci "/usr/bin/X11/xclock -display
1.2.3.4:0"
This popped a clock on my PC workstation. I assume it would work just as
well for shutdown -F. I didn't try that!
Of course any trap would have worked, I just happened to pick hpux.

Don Davis

Donald Davis
First Citizens Bank
Systems Engineer Consultant
Enterprise Management
100 East Tryon Road
Raleigh, NC.  27603-3526
919-716-8448

This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are intended solely for the use of individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible
for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised
that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error,
please immediately notify the sender by return mail.