nv-l

Re: RE: CERT Advisory CA-2001-24

2001-08-16 10:06:28
Subject: Re: RE: CERT Advisory CA-2001-24
From: "James Shanks" <SHANKS AT us.tivoli DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:06:28 -0400
Don -

I have a comment here and perhaps you can help.  You said
"2. There is an additional security exposure that was not mentioned.
NetView's actionsvr daemon could also be configured to execute a trap
variable. Example, coding $NVATTR_1 to be executed in an "Action" or
"Inline
Action" in a ruleset."

Well, the fix does address the alleged hole as there is a new nvcorrd and a
new actionsvr in the fix as well.
BUT -- we could not produce a failure in the way you described, though we
tried for a long time.
If you, or anyone else can produce the same failure in nvcorrd and
actionsvr before the fix is applied, or with the
new environment variable, AdditionalLegalTrapCharacters=disable, so that
the code works the way it used to,
I am very interested in seeing how you did it.  Development put the code
changes into actionsvr and nvcorrd because
the IBM security folks all but demanded it, "just to be safe", they said,
but in truth, we have never seen the problem demonstrated
using a ruleset.  The problem, so far as we could see, was in the ovactiond
code we got from HP so many years ago.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support
Tivoli NetView for UNIX and NT

"Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com>@tkg.com on 08/16/2001
09:45:21 AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com