nv-l

RE: Microsoft NT MIB

2001-08-08 15:40:30
Subject: RE: Microsoft NT MIB
From: "Davis, Donald" <donald.davis AT firstcitizens DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 15:40:30 -0400
Brad,
I don't think anyone really answered your question.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, you don't really need the mib to identify what
NT is sending.
You already know that it is the coldstart trap.
My guess is that you are seeing an error in the event log because the
Microsoft version of the Generic coldstart trap is not defined in NetView.

Fix (Adding a new trap definition):
1. Open the trap customization window (Options) and look at NetView's
coldstart trap definition.
2. Add Microsoft as a new Enterprise using 1.3.6.1.4.1.311 as the ID.
3. Add a new trap definition for coldstart
   Make it look just like NetView's ColdStart trap except in the Event Log
Message change IBM to Microsoft.
4. Click [OK] all the way back out.

That will fix those undefined ColdStart traps from Microsoft....
I used to tell my students that NetView does not need the MIB file loaded,,,
YOU do.
applications, like the browser, application builder or data collection. The
mib file is just the schema of the SNMP agent's Management Information Base.

Best regards,
Don Davis