nv-l

Re: Filter events by interface

2001-08-06 12:48:44
Subject: Re: Filter events by interface
From: Bill Evans <wvevans AT attglobal DOT net>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 12:48:44 -0400
An interesting metadiscussion where an old codger can put in his
perspective.  Thanks for the prompt, Oliver, and apologies to all for
jumping on the soapbox.

The specific reason for using BATCH files on NT is simplicity.  No worry
about making sure that all the appropriate directories are specified in
the path when executing programs when you have no native environment.

Two reasons I don't use TCL:

1) After 27 "language of the day/year" efforts I gave up.  Tivoli can't
make up its corporate mind on the language of choice among REXX,
BASH/KSH, PERL, TCL and JAVA depending on the product and platform in
use.  The only Tivoli product using TCL is NetView so it isn't worth the
effort to me.  (NetView for OS/390 uses mostly REXX.  Framework is
primarily BASH/KSH.  PERL is holding the same ecological niche in
Framework and NV-Unix that TCL does in NV-NT.  JAVA is the development
language of choice for almost all new IBM/Tivoli work that I've seen.)

2) Most Tivoli Framework support is BASH on NT and Korn Shell on Unix.
It's easier when working with NetView for both NT and Unix to settle on
one language which will work on both platforms. Most things I do these
days are in BASH/KSH.

My "native" language after twenty plus years of using it is the old IBM
Mainframe and OS/2 standby REXX.  It also runs on AIX and NT (using the
Regina interpreter) but I haven't located an open source Solaris version
so I only use in in extremis; i.e. I can't get something to work in
BATCH or BASH. It's a nice language too.

To be honest, TCL appears to be a nice language and so does PERL. The
use of TCL in NetView is quite minor.  There are 57 class LIBRARIES and
well over 500 classes for Java in NetView and only 40 TCL scripts.  It
makes me wonder why they bothered with the overhead of shipping and
maintaining TCL regardless of how nice it is. It also puts a wet blanket
on any enthusiasm I might work up for learning to write TCL or PERL.

--
Bill Evans  --  Consultant in Enterprise Systems Management
reply-to: wvevans AT prodigy DOT net  (or Bill_Evans AT sra DOT com)