nv-l

RE: TurboDB & Converting

2001-08-03 09:04:02
Subject: RE: TurboDB & Converting
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 09:04:02 -0400
Yes. The restart does not remove that file because it does not rewrite
that file, only all of the other files. It leaves it behind to trick you,
because
the function pre-dates turbo. Support will not assume the database is turbo
just from the presence of that file. In my experience, if the customer has
that
file, they want to be in turbo and regular compression is desirable so they
should be rerunning nvTurboDatabase as part of their normal housekeeping.
So it is moot, I think.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

                    Oliver

                    Bruchhaeuser/Germany/Contr       To:     IBM NetView
Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>
                    /IBM@IBMDE                       cc:

                    Sent by:                         Subject:     RE: [NV-L]
TurboDB & Converting
                    owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com

                    08/03/01 03:32 AM

                    Please respond to IBM

                    NetView Discussion

Leslie,

are you sure that "Retstart automatic map generation" will drop then NDBM
format?
As you already mentioned
/usr/OV/databases/openview/ovwdb/current/value_info.cfg
is left with the same contents.
1 1000 20000000 1 8 1 3 8192
for nvTurboDatabase speed
and
1 1000 20000000 0 0 1 3 8192
for nvTurboDatabase space

This is the way I try to detemine the database state -> maybe up to now ;-)

Of course "Clear object/topology/map databases" will delete all files
under /usr/OV/databases/openview/ovwdb/current/.

James,

can you help to clarify this?

Kind regards
Oliver Bruchhaeuser

                    Leslie

                    Clark/Southfield       To:     IBM NetView Discussion
<nv-l AT tkg DOT com>
                    /IBM@IBMUS             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     RE: [NV-L] TurboDB
& Converting
                    [email protected]

                    om

                    02.08.2001 23:34

                    Please respond

                    to IBM NetView

                    Discussion

If nvTurboDatabase has been run on that system, then in there will
be a <something>.cfg file in /usr/OV/databases/openview/ovwdb/current.
However, if you rediscover the network, the database is non-turbo
(classic?) but that file is still there. So you cannot be certain without
knowing the history of your system. The instructions for converting to
turbo are in Appendix G in the Inst & Config manual. Take a backup
first (tar up /usr/OV/databases/openview) and make sure you have
extra space in there, as backups of the various files are made.

Yes nvdbformat can be painfully slow on a large database. One
possibility, if much of your size is due to stub objects, is to run it
right after an ovtopofix, when the object count is at its lowest. And
the turbo should help some.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

                    Dean Sullinger
                    <DSullinger AT dot DOT st       To:     "'IBM NetView
Discussion'" <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>
                    ate.az.us>               cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     RE: [NV-L]
TurboDB & Converting
                    owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com

                    08/02/01 02:36 PM
                    Please respond to
                    IBM NetView
                    Discussion

We are running Nview v601 on Solaris 8.  How do I know if we are running
the
turboe version of the database and if we are not, how do I convert it over.

Also, I need to run some nvdbformat scripts against the db, but we have
18,000+ nodes and it takes forever.  Is there anyway to speed this process
up?

Thanks

--
DSullinger