nv-l

RE: community name changes

2001-08-01 17:30:47
Subject: RE: community name changes
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 17:30:47 -0400
Tom, the ambuguity is because it is not really a file that we are talking
about.
To tell Netview what community strings to use with the different nodes, use
the
function 'Options...SNMP Configuration'. The line command for that dialog
is
'xnmsnmpconf'. So we sometimes refer to that as if it were a file, as a
shorthand.
The entries there are what Netview uses for outbound requests.  Netview
puts
some in there for you, if it can figure them out. Sometimes it is wrong,
apparently.

On the inbound side, say on AIX boxes that are in your network, the snmp
community
strings are configured in /etc/snmpd.conf, and in different places on
Solaris. They need
to match, at any rate.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

"Thomas Kunz" <t-kunz AT admin.ndis.umn DOT edu>@tkg.com on 07/31/2001 10:21:46
AM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com