nv-l

Re: CISCO and "no keepalive"

2001-08-01 09:33:23
Subject: Re: CISCO and "no keepalive"
From: Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz AT Princeton DOT EDU>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 09:33:23 -0400
Mercier Alain wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Config :
> AIX 4.3.3
> NV 6.0.2
>
> I've some CISCO routers with interfaces configured with the "no keepalive"
> parameter.
> In NetView, log is full of alert from these routers :
> - <ROUTER_NAME> Interface <INTERFACE_NAME> is down
> - <ROUTER_NAME> Node is Down
> and 1 or 2 seconds after :
> - <ROUTER_NAME> Interface <INTERFACE_NAME> is up
>
> How can I fix it in NetView ? with a filter ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alain

Is the source of the event Netview or the router?   If you have set the
interface on the router to "no Keepalive" then you should never get an
interface down from the router.   If the source is netview then the problem
is either a ping timeout too short or routing problem from the point of view
of your Netview station.  Try just pinging it from the command line and see
it the ping fails.   Also check that your routing path is not flapping.

First check the source of the trap.

Jeff Fitzwater
CIT Systems & Networking