nv-l

Re: what other tools are you using aside from Netview?

2001-07-26 02:39:46
Subject: Re: what other tools are you using aside from Netview?
From: netview AT toddh DOT net (Todd H.)
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: 26 Jul 2001 01:39:46 -0500
"Leslie Clark" <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com> writes:
> Now Todd, be nice....;)

Tryin to be..but frustrated.  :-) Looks as though some of my
accusations against Netview were based on ignorance, and you're
helping with that!  :-)

> I cannot comment on what is or is not 'in the works', but
> you have every right to assume that Netview will support what is
> in wide use.  I have never seen a device that supports V3

Nokia firewalls are something I've been asked to support--and they do
v3 out of the box.  :-\    They claim there's a way to hack em to do
v2 by turning off encryption, but I've yet to see it work.

> See: Header in file /usr/OV/conf/mib.coerce, man page for mib.coerce

Oh my!  I think that's what I've been missing.  The man page seems to
talk in terms of data collection, however...so I hope there's someway
to set a threshold based on rate of change.

> See: Header in file /usr/OV/conf/snmpCol.conf
> See: man page for snmpCollect
> See: online help for Tools..Data Collection & Thresholding dialog
> See: man page for snmpColDump
>
> The example you give is of a mib expression. I use them all the time.
> There is nothing useful in the file delivered with Netview for Unix,
> but a nice one comes with the NT version. I will post it here.

Excellent.  Hopefully I can lop at least one thing off the list of
stuff that appears to require an external script!

Thanks for the pointers!

Todd