nv-l

Re: what other tools are you using aside from Netview?

2001-07-26 00:39:47
Subject: Re: what other tools are you using aside from Netview?
From: "Leslie Clark" <lclark AT us.ibm DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:39:47 -0400
Now Todd, be nice....;)

I cannot comment on what is or is not 'in the works', but
you have every right to assume that Netview will support what is
in wide use.  I have never seen a device that supports V3, and I
put in a Netview a week. V7 will be along shortly. Yes, V2 support
is incomplete but it has not stopped me yet.

As for data collection, Netview does a fine job of calculating rates
over time.  The documentation is scattered.
See: User's Guide for Beginners Chap 5, Collecting Network Data
See: AdminGuide Chap 7 Managing Network Performance
See: Header in file /usr/OV/conf/mibExpr.conf, man page for mibExpr.conf
See: Header in file /usr/OV/conf/mib.coerce, man page for mib.coerce
See: Header in file /usr/OV/conf/snmpCol.conf
See: man page for snmpCollect
See: online help for Tools..Data Collection & Thresholding dialog
See: man page for snmpColDump

The example you give is of a mib expression. I use them all the time.
There is nothing useful in the file delivered with Netview for Unix,
but a nice one comes with the NT version. I will post it here.

As for RMON, that is a rather large subject.  Vendors who sell rmon
probes usually have proprietary apps for them, and I have found that
implementations differ enough that it is best to use the vendor's app.
Everyone has one. But in the absense of an app, and in the presence of
a device with some rmon capability, I will occasionally just use SNMP
to check things in the RMON mib.

And another thing about Netview: the support is terrific, isn't it.

Cordially,

Leslie A. Clark
Detroit

netview AT toddh DOT net (Todd H.)@tkg.com on 07/25/2001 10:48:18 PM

Please respond to IBM NetView Discussion <nv-l AT tkg DOT com>

Sent by:  owner-nv-l AT tkg DOT com