nv-l

RE: NW Topology on maps

2001-07-17 11:00:01
Subject: RE: NW Topology on maps
From: "Scott Barr" <scott_barr AT csgsystems DOT com>
To: nv-l AT lists.tivoli DOT com
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:00:01 -0500
I can share some of my experiences with Location.conf
(/usr/OV/conf/location.conf on Solaris)

1. You must identify all subnets in your topology database. Used ovobjprint
and ovtopodump to come up with a list.
2. Designate "locations" for each of the subnets. For instances, all of the
ethernet/token ring segments in one building or one city etc. Leave the
serial subnets alone for the moment.
3. Code location.conf to create location icons for each of these subnets.
(Good documentation is in Netview v6.01 and Friends Redbook). Since you want
the icons at the IP Internet map level, do not code a "parent" location.
4. Delete your default map and let the map rebuild using location.conf
5. The routers can serial subnets will appear on the root map with the
location icons.

There is no way to place the routers in location icons except by cutting
them from the map. There is also no way to align the icons on the map
(EDITORIAL COMMENT: ITS ONLY BEEN 10 YEARS, CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A SIZING GRID
OR ALIGNMENT TOOL ON THE SUBMAP?)

Here is a snippet from my location.conf:

#
# *** Begin Customization Here ***
#
Customers       10.100       Site
#
# Building #1
#
Building1     10.10.40        Site
Building1     10.10.41        Site
Building1     10.10.42        Site
Building1     10.10.43        Site
Building1     10.10.44        Site
Building1     10.10.45        Site
Building1     10.255.255.48   Site

This would place two icons on the map and all the routers. The two icons
would contain the subnets listed. Lines would connect the routers to the
icons.

Hope this helps.